| You may have seen this before in my post about Emusoi. I cannot help sharing it again. It's my favorite of the whole trip! |
Regular readers of MIE are aware that I have been traveling—to Kenya, Tanzania, and London—a trip that did important things to my heart, things that I do not yet fully understand. They feel profound and positive and I am grateful for them.
The physical items that came home in my suitcase (in addition to the mountain of laundry) are easier to present. Here they are:
| The souvenir catalogue of the Karen Blixen Museum, replete with photos that will be boon as I work to describe home interiors, clothing, and characters. |
| James Wilson's book. He was the brilliant leader of our tour of the battlefields. Three of my Tolliver books will take place during the war. |
| Something to join all my little souvenirs on the bookshelves over my computer. This little guy is made of slices of a flattened beer can. And red--the Maasai color. |
![]() |
| A detail of my highly-prized copy of a 1910 map. From the collection of the British Library, it is the earliest indication of the street layout of the burgeoning town of Nairobi. |
I brought home about 750 photos, some of which you have already seen, and about twenty short films. One of the latter is of ostriches mating that reads like a post-modern love story. I am not at all sure what I will do with that. But the images of my trip are all now safely downloaded and await further study.
What I also took home are ideas—embryonic plots for two World War I novels—numbers 6 and 7 of my series, and many images that I know will make it into my narratives.
I came home with fresh eyes to see what I thought was a finished manuscript for Tolliver #2. I have already taken apart its first four chapters, resequenced the events, and added a new plot thread. It’s going to be a far better book than it otherwise would have been.
Recreation is supposed to give us renewal. My tanks—which life events had depleted of late—are recharged.
Annamaria - Monday


0 Yorumlar