I took this photograph of the old railway station in Drimoleague, West Cork, the other day.
Old train station waiting for the trains to return?
The other side of the platform. The line use to run where the tarmac and litter bin is.
The line use to run from Bantry to Cork. But it closed in 1961. The line was running at a loss of fifty six thousand Punts a year. I Suppose that would be a lot of money in today's money? The sleepers were lifted and sold for a shilling each(500 to the mile) and many were exported to Nigeria.
Today part of the line is part of a walk and a lot of the railway land was sold off and built on. My dad left Bantry when he was seventeen and emigrated to England via this line during the 'black fifties". Do you have an old railway line near you?
When I was in Dorset in June, me and my walking friend met a decorator renovating a rural church. He told us in one hundred years there will be no cars. I think there will be at least electric ones. Wouldn't it be great to see little railways running again full of people and cattle?
Old train station waiting for the trains to return?
The other side of the platform. The line use to run where the tarmac and litter bin is.
The line use to run from Bantry to Cork. But it closed in 1961. The line was running at a loss of fifty six thousand Punts a year. I Suppose that would be a lot of money in today's money? The sleepers were lifted and sold for a shilling each(500 to the mile) and many were exported to Nigeria.
Today part of the line is part of a walk and a lot of the railway land was sold off and built on. My dad left Bantry when he was seventeen and emigrated to England via this line during the 'black fifties". Do you have an old railway line near you?
When I was in Dorset in June, me and my walking friend met a decorator renovating a rural church. He told us in one hundred years there will be no cars. I think there will be at least electric ones. Wouldn't it be great to see little railways running again full of people and cattle?



0 Yorumlar